Support Alemany Farm in 2023
Friends of Alemany Farm is a sponsored project of Earth Island Institute, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. (Tax ID #94-2889684)
Or donate via PayPal:
Prefer to donate by check?
Make your check payable to Earth Island Institute (with FOAF in the memo line) and send to:
Earth Island Institute/FOAF
2150 Allston Way, Suite 460
Berkeley, CA 94704
Your Gift Supports:
- Stewardship of our 3.5 acre farm site
- Growing, harvesting, and distributing more than ten tons of free produce year round
- Paid apprenticeship programs for BIPOC youth and internships
- Community workdays and educational farm visits
- A productive and nourishing public green space and habitat that is a refuge for creatures of many species.
- Local, grassroots action and resilience including partnerships with programs such as: 280 Project, the Free Farm Stand, Alemany Medicinal Herb Garden, Feed the People Collective, Alemany Farm Native Plants, Dye Garden, SF Beekeepers Association, and SFRPD Summer Camp
It can’t happen without dedicated staff, volunteers, and donors!
Your gift in any amount to our general operating fund helps make all of the above possible.
Ways to Give:
- Make a one-time gift
- Set up a monthly recurring donation to sow seeds of support year-round.
- Give in honor or in memory of someone.
- Birthday campaign: Inspire your friends and family to honor your birthday with a gift to FOAF.
- Don’t forget MATCHING GIFTS: Does your employer match gifts? If so, you could double your generosity. Some employers also match volunteer hours.
Thank you to everyone who “gave a little to support the AleMANY” in our 2022 Giving Tuesday Campaign. We raised over $4,000 to support our work!
But giving isn’t just for Tuesdays…it’s never too late to make a gift of any amount to support the farm.
2022 Quick Facts:
- Growing Leaders: In 2022 we had 11 paid apprentices and 16 interns, typically with a 6 month commitment. Established in 2020, our paid apprenticeship program is proving important in helping BIPOC youth enter the workforce, in providing a re-entry path for adults, and in making the farm of meaningful benefit to residents of the adjacent public housing development.
- Growing Community: In 2022 we had over 2,000 volunteer visits and close to 7,000 hours of volunteer time on site. We also have 20 community partners. Rooted in local partnerships, we organize our efforts in close collaboration with other grassroots, community-based organizations. We ally with teams across sectors who, like us, are committed to growing food justice, food sovereignty, and climate resilient neighborhoods in San Francisco.
- Growing Food: Every year, we feed over 7,500 people. Alemany Farmers distribute food weekly through a network of community partners. We also maintain an open harvest policy, encouraging visitors to “take what you need.” During the pandemic, we have seen an increase in community harvesting on site. In 2022, we weighed and distributed 10,500 pounds of produce, and estimate that an equal amount has been community-harvested, for a total estimated yield of about 21,000 pounds of healthy food.
- Growing Habitat: We nurture habitat and habitat awareness in our native plant areas. This year, we offered two workshops for the public on how to grow drought-tolerant native plants at home, and this fall and winter, our native plant stewards and volunteer crews are creating new native grassland, chaparral, seep hedgerow, and wildflower meadow zones on the upper hillside. The farm’s native flora are home to an abundance of beneficial insects and creatures, including dozens of species of birds and butterflies.